Thursday, November 25, 2010

Bill Mantlo tribute piece - sketch

Any body remember the Watch-wraiths? They were these constructs that the science Wraiths developed as sentinels and body guards. We only get to see them 3 times through out the ROM series but I always liked em and wished we could have seen them more. Especially if they maybe had shown them in flash back sequences during the Galador-Wraith war fighting other Spaceknights.
Now over to Transformers II which was the return of Michael Bay to his usual over the top pander to pop culture shitty movie making style. But even this peice of shit did have it's moments like the forest fight scene in which Optimus takes on almost all the Decepticons on his own cause he's bad ass that way when he has to be. Even though he's too modest to admit it, which is really what makes Optimus Prime so awesome more so even then him being a great warrior! Besides, as Yoda said in ESB, "Wars not make one great" and I'm sure Prime would agree. There's this one point where Optimus climbs on the back of a Decepticon that's bigger then him and gets his "meat hooks" into the Decepticon and literally rips his fucken face apart! It was a great scene in the midst of a sequel that was so very inferior to the first TF movie. Here it is to the sound effects of the epic kick ass film 300.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak_SvePnFXM
So anyways that's where I got the inspiration and idea for this sketch which I'll hopefully have colored by the end of Friday or Saturday. The dude at Floating World Comics wants this by Sunday for the Bill Mantlo art auction but I'm hoping he just wants to see something having been done and not the actual work in his hands. Shit I just found out about this on Tuesday afternoon and it's Thanksgiving today. Stay tuned folks I'll have the finished work posted as soon as it's . . finished. Sketching stuff always takes me longer then to color it so who knows I might have this done by tomorrow night. All I got going on tomorrow is I'm heading to S.F. in the morning with some friends to cause some trouble with the lunatic left wing fringe. They're going to be staging another pro-terror demonstration in the middle of the busiest shopping square in S.F on Black Friday.

8 comments:

  1. I LOVE that idea! What a wonderful way to mine some gold from a crappy movie Dave! I'm sure the finished product will be just stunning. Not that the pencil doesn't blow my mind, too, but I have to leave some gushing.

    And be careful out there tomorrow. Crazy protesters + crazy shoppers = danger. And get video if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again, nice one mr.

    It's always great hearing the thoughts behind a piece too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you know me Dan, i'll say just about anything on my mind to keep things interesting here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hrmmm... y'know... if it wasn't for the fact that I started mine as soon as you emailed me about it, I'd SWEAR there was some sort of spy camera hidden in my house.

    My entry bears a weird resemblance to the "Heavy Metal" painting you posted the other day, AND mine also has Watchwraiths!

    Great minds, and all that.

    I have my sketches done and will be prepping the final soon to be finished by Sunday.

    Sadly, there's no time for mine to go to color.
    :-(

    ~P~

    ReplyDelete
  5. D'oH!
    Forgot to tell you that I like the dynamics of yours!

    Good job!

    ~P~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great stuff Dave. I can't wait to see it with some color added.

    ReplyDelete
  7. and nice to see you're still updating this site.

    ReplyDelete
  8. just returned from S.F. which was packed with people and weird smells everywhere. welcome back ~P~, and as to the posting timing this is what happens when you try to keep ROM fans in suspense this long. thank you for stopping by Craig i sure hope i don't disappoint you with the final which should be up later tonight my time. you know how busy i've been with the Suicide Squad blog but i'm still gonna work on this one here and there when i have time or when cool shit just happens to come along.

    ReplyDelete