Sunday, January 2, 2011

Found ROM art that doesn't suck - Part 2

If there has ever been a work of art featuring ROM I would describe as beautiful this one by Hyeondo Park would be it. I'm sure most of you have seen it already and although I usually feature art on this blog that is not as easy to find I made an exception for this one. To me this piece is just perfect in every way and I'm going to explain why. ROM's armor looks great. The shading, the details and the color are superb. Also what is good here is the anatomy from a figure drawing stand point. But in many ways what really makes this painting so good is the setting. The colors are somewhat soft, yet bold and give it depth. The scenery reminds me of those astrological photos of some sort of newly formed nebula NASA publishes sometimes. I love the way ROM is slowly rising up through that cosmic dust. The artist really put some serious thought and time into the setting for this painting. If you just sit back and relax your eyes while looking at this for a few seconds it almost seems to move as if your watching a beautifully drawn animation clip. Some information I was able to find on this explained that blue pen was also used in this water color painting and it had some photoshop work done on it.

Up next part 3

5 comments:

  1. This is a person who really knows their stuff. Thank you for showing it, because I've never seen it before. Or if I have I don't remember. It definitely places ROM squarely into the halcyon days of the Sci-Fi/Fantasy art world, which, in my never to be humble opinion, is where he fits best. I like it best when the metal flows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. spreading the gospel of kick ass art is pretty much my reason for bieng these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is really nice! It's so just soft but at the same time the nebula on the left look kinda like a Dire Wraith hand rising out to get ROM :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. This piece is by Hyeondo Park and was done for Floating World Comics' first Spacenight fundraiser back in 2007. You can find it at Park's site at http://www.hanaroda.net/illustrations/2007/11/rom_tribute_to_bill_mantlo.html.

    ReplyDelete
  5. and i have updated this posting accordingly in order to give due credit. thanks Lee! you might want to check your email too.

    ReplyDelete