Saturday, August 11, 2012

The TERMINATOR . . plus, Rom entry in Marvel Universe Deluxe Handbook done right!

Left click to enlarge
Most of you know how much I didn't like the Steve Ditko art from the original Marvel Universe Deluxe edition hand book. And it was quite disappointing to recently find some fan art that basically just mimicked what Ditko did. So here it is how I think it would have looked had Sal Buscema done the art for the entry.


I just love the irony here considering that Terminator did indeed come back after his supposed execution. The Ahwnold lines just work to well here in regards to clip art of the somewhat over zealous wraith slaughtering spaceknight. The art work below is the only fan art I've ever done of Terminator. I probably should do more after all he was one of the most bad ass looking spaceknights ever created. Oh and look, those Ahwnold lines work pretty well with some ROM clip art too. I hope you all remember Conan the Barbarian?

Left click to enlarge
By the way, did you know that the Dire Wraiths made a cameo in the Uncanny X-Men earlier this year? http://www.comicscube.com/2012/07/back-issue-ben-rom-retrospective-part-7_23.html

6 comments:

  1. That's awesome. Amazing to think THEY could have done that but were too lazy or just didn't care enough to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well i certainly care, which is why i do this stuff and post it here for you guys. and remember, sharing is caring (did i just write that!?).

      Delete
  2. I really got a chuckle out of the Conan photoshop strip here! Thank you for that. I know how much you dislike the Ditko representation of Rom, but I've made my peace with it. It's part of his history, so I accept it fully. I know for a fact that many people will dislike some things that I enjoy, so it always goes both ways. Most fans during the Peter David run on Inc. Hulk loved McFarland and Keown's work, but dislike Jeff Purves's time penciling Joe Fixit. Personally, I am a big fan of that period (as well as Keown and McF). When it came out, I was young and thought it looked sloppy and clunky compared to what preceded it, but as I grew older, I found it more and more subtle and stylish. Yet, I know there will be fans who never will change their minds about it. I'm sure there are Rom fans who enjoy the Ditko pencils as much as Busceme (I'm not among them), but should I ever do a Rom costume for a comic con, it'll definitely be based on Buscema's renderings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, that Dire Wraiths cameo in Uncanny X-men? Pee-Yoo, that is some horrible writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah i'm not exactly racing out the door to hunt that down. as for Dikto, i'm afraid i'm still quite traumatized. as a kid it was really jarring to start picking up those Dikto issues after years of Buscema. thanks for that information in your first comment Rick.

      Delete
    2. That was kind of how I felt after McFarland took over Spiderman. But like the man says, everyone seems to have their own likes, no matter how strange it seems to us. Personally, I think it's a lapse in correct comic book art education when they were brought up, but I try not to judge too harshly. (That's a total lie, but it keeps me out of fights)

      Delete