Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Onyx "The Arrival"

 I'm hastily throwing up this posting before I hit the sack tonight. For now just check out this very interesting article about the character known as Onyx. It'll be pretty obvious right away why ROM fans might want to take notice. Updates for this posting to come for sure especially if I decide to get a copy of #1 http://www.sidekickcast.com/is-onyx-more-than-just-a-rom-spaceknight-knockoff/

After doing a bit more online research I also found this 5 page promo that was running in several IDW titles leading up to the first issue of Onyx. So what do you folks think of Onyx so far based on this promo clip art along with the opening pages of issue #1 as seen in the link above? . . . .
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/05/02/onyx-0-a-5-page-preview-from-chris-ryall-and-gabriel-rodriguez-for-free-comic-book-day/

July 31st Update:
So I picked up a copy of Onyx #1 yesterday and I'll have all of you know it's the first time in about two years that I've bought a brand new comic book. The last time I bought a new comic I was excited about I saw Galador get destroyed within the first 7 pages (Infinity#1) and I was like "fuck this shit!". I'm not gonna do a review here because if you've read the pages that the links above go to then you pretty much have the story line in the issue save perhaps a little more action and character development.
But there are a couple other cool things I wanted to bring to your attention. Did you happen to notice the thank you message on the front inside cover that included among others Sal Buscema & Bill Mantlo along with information on how to help Mantlo with his ongoing medical care? And speaking of our Pal Sal one of the back pages features a gallery of all 9 cover variants for Onyx #1. One of which was done by Sal and it bears a strong resemblance to a certain cover done by Frank Miller in 1979 for another silver cyborg who had just made planet fall on Earth. Last but certainly not least in the back pages is an editorial page summarizing all the influential sources in the making of Onyx but none of them get as many mentions as ROM spaceknight. All that aside I thought the issue was a fairly good read on it's own merits as a sci-fi comic and thus far I intend on picking up issue #2 unless something drastically changes like steve ditko taking over the penciling duties or some shit like that.

10 comments:

  1. I was really pleased with the first issue. In the letter column he goes through all of his influences but notes ROM as being the one he is most influenced by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if they will meet in 2016.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vis
    i'd say based on the futuristic dystopian setting for Earth that Onyx #1 takes place in there was some Judge Dredd influence to. i'll probably give my LCS a call tomorrow morning to see if they have any copies.

    Joseph
    oh I think we can count on it rather it happens next year or a bit later. but i'd say there's a good chance you'll see that meeting right here a lot sooner then 2016.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome it has info to help Bill out in it and a Sal variant cover. Thats a good sign for ROMs return to the pages I hope and how they will approach it with care.

      Delete
  4. I don't know if I want to think of it as a reboot or more of an alternate reality. It most certainly has the feel of ROM. That being said, the whole "Spores" and the situation being "DIRE" kind of does not work for me. The Dire Wraiths were an ENEMY while the premise of basically a disease doesn't seem to me to have the same impact. Rom fought against a malevolent species with truly evil intent. A spore is just a mindless lifeform just doing what it does. Now I realize that it can be written into something more insidious but for me it will take something to make it an equivalent of ROM. Part of how we judge a hero is by his enemies. The Wraiths were such an evil overwhelming foe that it made the nobility, honor, and sacrifice of ROM seem so much more powerful and striking. I will probably follow this pale comparison for a bit to see if they can make it into something of the caliber of ROM but there will be nothing in my eyes that will ever measure up to that character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well i'll tell you what, for the time being at least i'd rather spend my money on future Onyx issues then any of the ROM related garbage marvel has planned to come out with. aside from that future Onyx issues will be featuring a letters page it'll be interesting to see what others have to say who knows maybe you can get another letter published?
      letter@idwpublishing.com

      Delete
  5. Just picked up issue#1 today. Not bad and I did put it on subscription. Thus issue reminded me of the storyline where the Wraiths tainted the blood supply in the hospital where Rick Jones was being treated. I'm thinking there's a lot more ROM influence than first admitted to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yep I had a thought or two about that ROM issue, but that aspect of Onyx also kinda reminds me a littel of John Carpenter's The THING. glad to see you're warming up a bit to Onyx I think you'll like my next update to this posting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well at least it doesn't try to hide the super obvious ROM influence, but rather acknowledges and imbraces it without being a straight out copycat. And anything that strives right the wrongs of another company, is more than alright with me, especially in Bill Mantlo's case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well put Dale, and let me just add a "fuck marvel" to your commentary. But now only time will tell if Onyx finds an audience rather it be with old school Rom fans and or with new readers.

      Delete